In December of 2012, SVG and FindoOut, a local Chinese marketing research company, announced the results of an online survey asking netizens of China about their attitudes and behaviors toward philanthropy. Over 1,000 questionnaires were completed over the span of five days and the results were interesting.
- 83% of interviewees stated they have been involved in charitable work in the past
- 72% have participated via a form of a monetary donation
- 40% in the form of goods and services
- 26% completed volunteer work
- 22% supported causes through social media
One particularly encouraging finding was that over 60% of participants who had never done charitable work before stated they would like to do so in the future. Many said they would be more inclined to help if there was greater transparency in the social sector, increase in promotion of these causes in the media, and there was a legal infrastructure to this sector.
To learn more about our findings, click on the following link to download SVG & FindoOut press release.
We want to especially thank Johnnie Yu, a student in Shanghai, for making a great video on Youku that shows the findings from our survey in Chinese.