CAI is looking for energetic and dedicated individuals with a love for basketball and a heart for the underprivileged to join its team of volunteer coaches for the 2009-2010 Basketball Program in Shanghai. Volunteers will coach girls in grades 4 and 5 at migrant schools throughout Shanghai in basic basketball skills and rules.
Duties for Head Teachers and Assistant Teachers include:
- Coaching a group of around 15 female students on basic basketball skills and rules,
- Applying CAI’s character development curriculum for the basketball court,
- Implementing and assessing utility of the curriculum,
- Reviewing each session's lessons with students in the classroom, supervising journal entries and facilitating discussions,
- Providing positive feedback on the student's progress and encouragement,
- Providing overall program feedback to SH Program Coordinator.
Preferred skills and knowledge:
- Strong communication and leadership skill,
- For head teachers, experience in teaching or working with youths is preferred,
- Bilingual ‐ Mandarin, English. Conversational bilingual level for Head Teachers and limited Mandarin for Assistant Teachers,
- Enthusiastic and outgoing,
- Willingness to learn and be flexible.
Eligible candidates include adults over 18 years old who are students at sports universities or teachers' colleges, professional and amateur basketball players and others who have experience in teaching basketball.Time Commitment
Three hours per week for a minimum of 1 school semester, weather permitting. Hours are from 13:00-16:00 on weekdays or Saturdays. Fall semester is from Oct 17- Dec 19, 2009 and Spring semester is from Mar- June 2010.
Stella Xiang, Shanghai Program Officer
stella@cai‐china.org or 137 8897 0433.
When emailing, please write “2009 Shanghai Basketball Volunteers” in the subject line for easy identification.-- Grace